Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter

The score?

Easter gluttony: 1
Pious moderation: 0

Guess that could be taken as a compliment since this was my first Easter dinner (cooking, not eating), not to mention my first turkey! Actually, I can't take full credit for the turkey. Even though I prepared the thing (wish I could've recorded my shrieks of disgust whilst pulling the neck out of the turkey's cavernous rear end--really, I shrieked) while mom coached me over the phone, mom basted it and watched over it once she came over. Our feast included stuffing from scratch, steamed asparagus w/lemon pepper breadcrumbs, the most amazing cauliflower au gratin EVER, D's mashed taters and scrumptious spinach salad with mandarin oranges and sugar-toasted almonds and a formal dinner table setting. Shawn's only duty this evening was carving the bird. It was a fair trade-off. I had baked a pumpkin swirl cheesecake in the morning and it was pronounced delectable.

Mom had brought Easter bags for Taylor and Julia (though Julia was not in attendance) and Rice Krispie squares. Dude was unstoppable all night and so I've declared that his RKsquare intake must be drastically reduced in the future.

Since it is Easter, I feel the need to dedicate a portion of this post to a spiritual message. The car went to Airdrie this morning and so I had no way to take the kiddies to church (weather was too chilly to biped it) but I spent a few moments playing spiritual songs on the piano and singing along. I am very affected by music and find this a good way to feel a bit of the Spirit. And so, to honor this Easter season when we celebrate the resurrection of our Beloved Savior, I'd like to take a moment to bear my (short and sweet) testimony.

There is nothing more infinitely necessary to me than the Atonement. I wouldn't be where I am without it. Cliché, I know. But I am happy despite the difficulties of marriage and child-rearing, bills and to-do lists because I have the Gospel. Gratitude is better shown than said (and being an imperfect being I need to work on this) but I'm so grateful for the Savior and His Sacrifice for me...

Getting-ready-for-Easter photos:

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Need a ride? You just have to call.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful testimony, Dana. I too feel the same way; I would not be where I am without the loving atonemnet of our Savior.
It was a great day with you and the children; even with Taylor's sugar effects. Family together, is always good. Thank you for the meal and company.

B said...

Reading what you made for dinner just made me feel so hungry. It sounds like it was so yummy.