Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Teacher Time

Today I was officially offered a teaching position at my old tech school, SAIT (Southern Alberta Institute of Technology)!

Rewind a few years, 2008 to be exact, and I have just interviewed for a full-time position co-teaching the program I graduated from, Health Information Management, with a friend that I graduated with. I felt very good about the interview and the more I thought about teaching as a career, the more ecstatic I became. I used to play school with my younger sibs, creating mini-texts and quizzes to grade. I taught Eva (maybe Owen?) to read (not that I find that kind of patience with my own children!). I've really enjoyed any training opportunities that came my way as both a coder and an analyst.

Unfortunately, it was not meant to be.

It was just as well since our family grew once more after that. ;)

Fast-forward to the beginning of this past summer and my friend at SAIT approached me about a part-time contract (temporary) position at SAIT. It wouldn't be teaching my program but helping out the Medical Transcription and Health Information Office Assistant programs. It would be a foot in the door!

At this same time, I had already applied for a part-time data quality position at the new Calgary hospital (opening end of this year/beginning of next year). Data quality is my passion (consistency appeals to my detail-oriented, problem-solving side) and these positions don't come up often. It made me consider getting out of my stay-at-home-mom mode since Averi is now going to school. Child care would be less expensive and I would be missing less time with the kids. (Ella and parents will all benefit with some time apart.)

I find it unfortunate that both of these opportunities presented themselves at the same time. It has been my experience that Heavenly Father brings about these types of situations for a reason. I went after the teaching position since it was temporary and would lead perfectly into the hospital position. SAIT, however, has offered me a year-long contract, rather than just one term. I look forward to finding out what becomes of this! Will I become a permanent instructor, coding coordinator or both (SAIT assures me that they can be flexible)??

No comments: