Monday, March 14, 2011

Avi's Surgery

Averi opened her eyes this morning.


Her eyes are still quite swollen and the lateral aspect of each eye is incredibly bloodshot. She's been lovingly referred to as  our "vampire child." :)  She is, quite obviously, very happy.

Her surgery on Friday, March 11th went excellently. She took some time to revive from the anesthetic but was much more reasonable than last time. She drank plenty of fluids right away, as well as a popsicle and some jello.

Her superbly dedicated surgeon has called once or twice a day to check up on her over the weekend. Avi's next appt with her is on Friday.

The helium balloon in the photo is from her caregiver, Linda. It came along with a care package that included crayons, a coloring book, Dora cards and snacks (which she couldn't eat until after the surgery). I was quite grateful for these activities as the wait for her surgery always seems to take forever...

I was unable to accompany her into the OR this time. I was of two minds about it anyway, since last time was somewhat traumatizing... It's very difficult to watch your child fight the strange smelling gas and then go completely helpless. The reason I didn't accompany her this time, however, was due to an injury I received while dropping Ella off at her caregiver's home... I slipped on some ice and bruised my knee (enough to limp for only a little while) and seriously sprained (my guess) my arm. I thought I had dislocated it at first since I could barely move my right arm/elbow/wrist without acute pain. I was left to guard it for the remainder of the day, disappointingly useless to my daughter while she was in the hospital. The staff were considerate and fashioned a makeshift sling for me (I believe it was a baby blanket).

While waiting for Averi during her surgery, a code blue was called in the Daysurgery department. A code blue indicates some sort of serious medical event, usually cardiac or respiratory arrest. Every parent in the room stopped what they were doing and held their breath. One mother then proceeded to panic and wail, requiring comfort from her mother and reassurances to her young son. Another mother started crying quietly. I just stared at the Daysurgery doors and waited for news. The code blue team rushed through the waiting room into Daysurg, inciting more panic to those present. I can't stand dramatics... Anyway, it turned out that a PARENT accompanying their child into Daysurgery had passed out, due to lack of food. (I think all parents go without food when their child also has to... I just went to the cafeteria as soon as they took Avi away... ;) ) It was a relief to hear but I couldn't help rolling my eyes at those who had chosen to engage in theatrics instead of waiting for an actual announcement.

The most mortifying thing about the whole experience was that the surgeon herself helped me to my van with Averi after discharge. No, wait... the most mortifying thing about the whole experience was that the surgeon paid for my parking because my debit card had become damaged in my pants pocket, where I had left it for easier access due to my injury. Of course, I'm paying her back but it was just a terrible day, in general.

Anyway, my range of motion has improved, though I still can't wash dishes (tee hee!) or write very well. Typing is much easier. ;)

No comments: