Thursday, July 31, 2008

My Body's Nobody's Body But Mine

Today, I feel like reveling in the things that I actually like about my physical self. Too often, women focus on the parts of their bodies that drive them nuts-o. Well, there are a few things I like about myself:
  • My nails. They're oval and have deep nailbeds that make them look the perfect length even if I've hacked them off. Which I usually do.
  • My hair. It's medium-fine which means it tangles easily but I have tons of it. I have to get it thinned everytime I get a cut. I'd rather have it this way than the other way around... My hair has a bit of wave which means I can't just let it dry, but it holds curl pretty well and can be easily flat-ironed.
  • My eye color. While arctic blue doesn't work well with the "smoky makeup" look, it's a fairly unique color. And who doesn't want to be unique?
  • My zygomatic arches, aka cheek bones. I don't think about this one much. I think I'm grasping at straws to keep this list going...

Perhaps I should move beyond the esthetic.

  • I like my height. I'm slightly above average at 5' 7-3/4" but I can still wear tall shoes.
  • I have a terrific immune system. I get my share of colds but it's not uncommon for everyone around me to be sick and I'm fine.
  • I'm sturdy. No fragility about my bones. Don't think I've ever broken a one of 'em. While I like the idea of being petite and dainty, femininity isn't dependent on them. I can be hard on my body and appreciate its tolerance. This being said, I don't keep it in shape like I'm supposed to...
  • Aside from a stomach sensitivity, I don't suffer from any medical conditions or allergies. I truly appreciate this.
  • When I'm pregnant, I don't even get sick (knock on wood). Thank goodness!!
  • I have superb mental faculties. I can't complain.

Whenever I see or read about how others suffer, my heart weakens. Not many people know this about me as I'm not overly emotional. I'm typically self-serving and profess not to care about people. But it's why I don't get close to many people. I don't watch the news. I don't read magazines. Suffering has snuck in to my life via the blogging world, however. I do not regret this. I only wish there was something I could do. Impotence drives me nuts-o.

Coming up: Mamma Mia!

2 comments:

B said...

love the list. I applaud you for putting this together because I totally agree that as women we're too hard on ourselves. I may have to be a copy can and do this myself one day soon.

bel said...

What a great idea. We should focus on the positive stuff more.

FYI - My hair, which is just right, and my eye color, green, are 2 of my favorite features too.