Saturday, June 2, 2012

My First Recital

OMGoodness, I'm so ecstatic that this is over!

It may be recalled that I received singing lessons as a Christmas present. My instructor, the fabulous Tanis, is a coloratura soprano and has a Masters in Vocal Performance. She lived just a couple of blocks away (in my ward) so it took me less than a minute to drive there (Shawn: Why don't you just walk??). She has since moved to a small town just south of Calgary but the 25-minute drive there is still worth it.  ;)

My motivation in taking singing lessons is to hopefully acquire the confidence to perform. As is true with teaching, I am fairly certain that the more I perform, the better I will become at performing. I insisted Shawn record me at my recital so I could critique myself. The added benefit is that I got to hear what I sound like. I've never been able to "hear myself" when I sing... Weird, but true.

You can't really tell that I'm dying of nerves (except that I can't breathe and don't smile or make much eye contact), but my usual stiffness is broken up with occasional hand rotations/waving... Whoops. I do that during lessons/practices to help with energy and flow. Didn't think I'd carry it over to my performance. Bah, whatever.

The recital takes place in a United Church building.

Taylor filmed my little pre-recital-footage message so excuse the shaking and noises. ;)

6 comments:

Sabrina said...

I cried! It was beautiful Dana! I'm so proud of you. I know how hard it is for you and glad that you are not only developing a talent you have, but that you are working on overcoming your fear(or should I say nerves). :) Well done! Well done.

Eva said...

I'm so proud of you sissy, it isn't easy to preform in front of people. I can't believe how much your power has increased. Weather that is due to training or confidence, your high notes are beautiful. Can't wait to sing with you. :)

Eva said...

I love how I spelled whether

Tigriswillreign said...

Def due to training.

Sabrina said...

Adding for Omi as she didn't kow how to leave a comment for you. She may email it to you.

She said that she cried because it was so beautiful and she was so amazed at the talent that you have. She also added that your Opa's Mom sang very well, and one of Opa's brothers was an opera singer, so you and Eva may have inherited those talents. She also hopes that you continue for a very long time with your voice lessons because it would be a shame not to.

She too is very proud of you, as we all are. :)

I'm with Eva - I can hardly wait till the next time we're together so we can hear you and eva sing again together. You two always did have voices that sound so well together.

Bec said...

Dana....I have always loved your voice. Way to be to sing in front of a crowd!!! Does this mean that your fear of public speaking...or singing is over..... I say yes!!!