I am NOT a political activist. I ignore any and all references to elections, parties and politics... as a general rule. I know we've been encouraged to be involved in civic affairs, but I've never fostered an inclination do so.
My brother-in-law, Aaron, asked if we'd be willing to put up a lawn sign for the mayoral candidate he was supporting. I said I'd have to research his platform first. I put it off (just a little bit ;) ) but finally looked into Naheed Nenshi, as well as the other major candidates. Right about the time Nenshi gained momentum, soon entering a 3-way tie with the other front runners, I decided that I whole-heartedly endorsed his candidacy. Shawn followed suit and we invited Aaron to put a sign on our lawn. :)
If Shawn thought he was surprised at my "passion" for Nenshi, I was doubly surprised at the advocate I had become! I engaged in discussions with family, friends and co-workers about the reasons I was voting for Nenshi. I even participated in a "wave" on the Anderson Station pedestrian bridge over Macleod Trail on Election Day! So fun!
I'm thrilled to say that Nenshi stunned political observers with his come-from-behind WIN against the shoe-in alderman and the popular news anchor!!
Here's me and Calgary's new mayor!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
That is neat Dane.....way to be!!!!
It's been forever since I've been here! Sorry. I love your hair long. :)
I wish I could find the energy to care about politics. It's all just too much like middle school for me!
Post a Comment