Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Trip to Iowa: The 2nd (Full) Day

It was decided that we would take the Water Taxi up and down the Miz'ippi River. Despite heat and humidity, we took it upon ourselves to walk there since Becky was awaiting delivery of her new gas stove and had more kids than seats in her van.

Our walk began pleasantly enough. I found the sign on this dumpster to be amusing...


Beautiful flower bush:


I liked the street lamps in Bettendorf:


Our first glimpse of the bridge between Moline and Bettendorf (well, we had crossed it on our way to Beck's from the airport, but first glimpse on our walk):


I took this pic of the water taxi marker before noticing the sign taped to it:


The sign basically stated that the water taxi wasn't running until future notice due to the dangerous level of the Mississippi.... Argh!!!

By this point we were hot but decided to do some exploration.

This is the Isle of Capri casino that we took a quick look of inside:


Another bridge shot:


And yet another bridge shot:


Jenn and Marie at the Captain's Wheel:


Marie and me at the Captain's Wheel:


The 3 flags that locally identified us: Bettendorf, Iowa, United States...


The walk home was literally painful as Jenn and I fought blisters and foot wear. I took my flip flops off on occasion only to experience burning soles. We all fought heat stroke but Jenn got the worst sunburn of the 3 of us. The only thing that kept us going, as if we had an alternative, was the promise of Becky's air conditioning. We had, of course, brought water with us.

At least Becky got her stove!

No comments: