Monday, June 28, 2010

Lilith Fair - The Reality

Hm.

I enjoyed myself but I can't say that it was stupendous or amazing. My dad and I were discussing this and my conclusion is that I'm getting old and my dopamine-releasers are becoming more selective as I age.

I think the biggest disappointment was that Sugarland, a country band, got WAY more time than Sarah McLachlan! Sarah didn't get on stage until late and then had to quit early due to Calgary curfew (10:30, apparently)! Nothing short of tragic.

I think the best time I had was listening to Sheryl Crow. Not because I like her more than Sarah, but because her music is more upbeat. It was fun to groove along with the tunes. At one point, her 3-year-old son was shaking maracas on stage with her and someone was holding her newborn (Sheryl called him/her "fresh out of the packaging"--so cute!) on the side of the stage. How sweet!

Sarah was a terrific performer. I've always considered her the personification of a true musician. She was the only person who had more than pleasantries to say to the audience. She had wonderful presence. Before she came on, we were able to get really close to the stage, but right before her entrance, the aisles were cleared by security and the police, at least as far as possible, so we stood back.

Now, the "incidents" of Lilith. What I will recall as my experience of Lilith.

The line to get into the stadium was long and winding, however, once the doors were opened, it didn't really take too much time to get in. We had, unfortunately, brought folding chairs, which we learned at the entrance to be not allowed. We had to leave them at the entry way, outside of the stadium. Stefanie was understandably concerned that they would be stolen. We were pleasantly surprised to find them immediately following the concert. :D

I'd say that was sort of the recurring theme of Lilith. The people there were terrific! At one point before the Main Stage performers started, I dropped my can of Sprite right behind a fellow Lilith-ite, seriously splashing her and soaking the corner of her mat/blanket. Without a second thought, she shrugged it off, commenting that it was clear and not wine so there was no reason to fuss! Stefanie, the prepared wonderwoman that she is, had a couple of paper towels that she used to clean up the mess. She did mention later that I should try not to spill any more drinks since she didn't have any more paper towels. Ha, ha. ;)

The 2 young ladies sitting behind us, quite congenially agreed to take pics of Stef and I since we had not brought a camera (Stef was understandably concerned with confiscation). We had much fun chatter with these girls and took pics of them, as well (of course!). When they left early (gasp!), they left us their water spray bottle. It was a hot day and the gesture was very appreciated. (We did have sunscreen and umbrellas, Dad!)

The least favorite aspect of Lilith, was the line up for food. :( We had brought snacks but decided something more serious was necessary. I missed part of the first act, Colbie Caillat, while waiting in line. Nothing serious, just disappointing.

Will post pics when (if?) we receive them!

Thanks for returning, Lilith and Sarah!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Maybe it wasn't so great not only because you've matured since your teen and young adult days, but because this took place on the Sabbath and you attended. Even though you wanted to go, you could have given the tickets away. LDS Mom speaking.